Greyhounds are allocated points from the following table for each of their last four starts provided all such starts are within the three months immediately prior to the date of nominations closing. The order of entry will be in descending order of points earned, except for rule 10
1. Any starts that are not within 3 months are awarded 4 points, so a Greyhound with no form within 3 months gets 16 points, a Greyhound with only one start in that period gets 12 points plus the points from the sole start within 3 months, and so on
2. A Greyhound having its first start gets 18. A first starter is selected ahead of other Greyhounds on 18 points
3. Downgrading Greyhounds are allocated the higher of 18 points, or the actual points earned from their last 4 starts (within 3 months) for the downgrade start only. If that start is recorded as “F” or “B” then the Greyhound gets 18 points for the next start in the lower grade. Usual point earnings apply thereafter. Downgrading Greyhounds are selected ahead of other Greyhounds on the same points.
4. Entry into Restricted Age, and other restricted races will have the highest graded Greyhounds entered first. This points system is then applied to determine the order of entry for the remaining available place in the field.
5. Distance form will only count towards Distance races. Distance races will be selected on points earned in the last 4 Distance starts within the 3 months immediately prior to nomination date. Any starts not within 3 months are awarded 4 points, a Greyhound with less than 4 distance starts is awarded 4 points for each start not had. The order of entry for Greyhounds on equal points is determined first by the middle distance grading where the highest Middle Distance grade will determine the order of entry, and secondly by condition 6 below. A first starter over the distance is selected ahead of other Greyhounds on 18 points
6. If two or more Greyhounds are on equal points then the order of entry may be determined by points earned from the most recent start irrespective of when the last start occurred. If the last start comparison is also equal then the previous start is used, and so on. Where there is still no difference then the selector may use his/her discretion to select.
7. Imported Greyhounds will have form from their previous country (as provided by NZGRA) used to determine points. Each start not advised or older than 3 months gets 4 points as shown above.
8. Any “F” or “T” in a Greyhounds form will not be recognised, and the previous start is used to determine points
9. Any time where the selector uses his/her discretion this will be the final decision
10. Any greyhound that nominates at Wanganui, and fails to get a start after three (3) consecutive nominations when a race in the greyhound’s current grade has been carded, shall be guaranteed a tote start when a race for that greyhound’s grade is next carded.
11. Greyhounds cannot get into feature races on 3 misses but that feature race will count as a miss.
If there are more dogs than required on 3 the miss rule the order of entry will be on the points gained in the last start or on a countback if they are equal, refer rule 6.
Updated 1 April November 2017